HOW LOVE CHANGED HER

Written by: Ayokunle Olagoke

hlcm.

INT. HOSPITAL ROOM. NOON

Hosanna (17) is looking weak on the hospital bed where she is seated. She has bruises on her forehead, lips and part of her hand that is exposed. She is dressed in a hospital gown. Beside her are the doctor and another woman.

DR ESIRI
I was asked if you will like to press charges

Hosanna shakes her head in disapproval but says nothing

DR ESIRI (CONTD)
I must really commend you for taking the right step. The ideal thing is that victims should be present at a government hospital immediately after the incidence because only a government hospital’s report is admissible in court. Also, victims should be given Post Exposure Prophylaxis to prevent HIV infection, this should be taken within 48 hours and emergency contraceptive should be given to prevent pregnancy from occurring, it is available at every government hospital.

Hosanna is still in shock, she is mute, staring at the doctor’s shoulder

DR ESIRI (CONTD)
This is Barr Ohakwe, we call her Mama Justice… her NGO partners with us in assisting with emotional support, counseling and helping you get justice, I will…

Suddenly, they hear a loud cry at the corridor. A loud sound of a woman wailing

WAILING SOUND (V.O)
Olorun ti mo un sin loju mejeeji (the God I serve fervently)! It is not my portion, Labake mi o ni ku (my dear Labake, will not die), Yeh!

DR ESIRI
I will be back. Please, excuse me

Dr. Esiri leaves the room hastily. She opens the door hurriedly and closes it again. Hosanna looks through the window to catch a glimpse of what is happening

EXT. CORRIDOR. NOON
A young lady is being wheeled on the stretcher with the wailing woman running after her alongside some nurses

INT. HOSPITAL ROOM NOON
Mama Justice moves her chair closer to Hosanna with a simple smile

MAMA JUSTICE
Again I ask, will you like to press charges?

Hosanna shakes her head rapidly in disapproval, her eyes getting misty

HOSANNA

By now, tears are flowing down her eyes

MAMA JUSTICE
Whatever the decision you make, I will surely respect it but, can I know why?

HOSANNA
I’m not sure if it was a rape… I don’t know if I can call it a rape… I think I caused it to happen

MAMA JUSTICE
Do you mind telling me the full story?

FLASHBACK

INT. JIMI’S APARTMENT. 3P.M
Hosanna, dressed in touches of red is constantly wiping the sweat off her face with her face towel and off her sweaty palms. Knocks at the door but there is no response. After a while, Jimi walks towards the door reluctantly to open. She gives him a hug but he expresses reluctance

Happy Val

She is beaming with joy but Jimi seems unwelcoming

HOSANNA (CONTD)
You are not dressed? Are we not going out again? You said we were going to see a movie or have you forgotten? I have been calling you to remind you, you were not picking my calls

JIMI
Hmmm

HOSANNA
You didn’t even ask about my test result I said was pasted… Eco 104, it was fine , though, I had 72

JIMI
Hmmm… good

HOSANNA
What are you up to? Your project?

JIMI
Hmmmm

HOSANNA
How do I look in this dress? I deliberately got this dress because of you, I know you love me looking sexy. Say something now, you like it?

She turns around for him to see

continues after the advertisement

Dr Sprinte

JIMI
Hossy, do we have to keep going round the same cycle over and over again? I have told you time and time again, we can’t go on a major outing with you looking like an inflated balloon, I’ve said, for now, we can only have our relationship in the room till you lose some more weight and form a reasonable shape… I mean, I can’t go out with you looking like this

HOSANNA
But I’m trying, I go to the gym on Saturdays until you said you don’t like the trainer and I should stop going till I get another gym; despite that I still jog every morning, I am trying

By now she already has misty eyes with her voice shaking

JIMI
Look Hossy, he that is good at making excuses will only keep making more. You are fat, you sweat a lot, your palms, your face, nose, sole of feet… see, my girlfriend illuminates me, my girlfriend is meant to be a reflection of me, if you are like this then, I can’t show you off, BURN MORE FAT!

He yells out at her. By now she is not able to control her tears, the tears run down her cheeks uncontrollably. Her lips are trembling as she sobs

JIMI (CONTD)
A friend’s sister is coming around, I will be going out with her because I really need to cool off, have some fun this season that happens once in a year… just friends

He avoids making eye contact with Hosanna who by now is soaked in tears

JIMI (CONTD)
Look it’s okay…it’s okay. You know I love you hum? You can take this time to read up some of the classes you’ve missed, exams are coming soon and in 100 level trust me you need a good CGPA okay?

Hosanna nods in concordance with what he just said

JIMI
Oya give me a smile now my Hossy! Hossy!

She manages to smile

HOSANNA
Let me be on my way then so you can have some time to get set

She bends down to put on her shoes, her clothes are up her thighs, Jimi sights the exposed thighs, the tightly fitted top revealing her cleavage as she bends

JIMI
Ah! No now, won’t you cook for your Jim-Jim? Do you want me to carry empty
stomach around campus? Go and prepare something jor

He teases her. Hosanna is still sniffing, cleans the tears off her face. She bends down to carry the pot from the wooden cupboard close to the bed. She opens it and sees it is dirty, she carries it outside the room. Jimi heaves a sigh of relief as she leaves

THIRTY-EIGHT MINUTES LATER

INT. JIMI’S APARTMENT. EVENING
Jimi’s phone rings, he looks back to be sure Hosanna is not close by. The door is left open; it cannot be shut except when locked with a key.

JIMI
Hey, guy! I just want to eat before I call you

He tries to reduce his voice, still sounding confident too.

JIMI (CONTD)
I told you it’s a small matter. At the moment she is in the kitchen making me dinner… mumu

He chuckles

JIMI (CONTD)
I don’t know what she wants me to do with a fat girl with sweaty palms and feet, me Olujimi Festus… abeg are the girls ready?… Yeh! I’m dead… if today is when I will have HIV I am ready… who?… she said the bleeding has ceased, she’s at home with her mama. We will discuss more when we see… I will join you soon

After making the call, he turns back still smiling broadly. To his amazement,  Hosanna walks in, she has a pot of rice in her hand, she stares at Jimi as tears start to fill her eyes

HOSANNA
I heard you… I heard everything

She pulls the hot pot of rice towards herself so she can throw it out with full force towards Jimi but he quickly blocks it with his hand and the rice spilled over the entire room. He hits her hard on her cheeks causing her to land on the floor. Jimi goes towards the door, locks it and draws out his belt

JIMI
Are you mad? Look at the whole room, is it my fault that you are a shapeless ameba? You will never repeat this again in your life, now pick every single grain

He whips her with the belt on her buttocks, she cries out loud. Jimi puts his finger across his lips telling her to keep quiet

JIMI (CONTD)
Quiet! If I hear your voice again, I will wound you badly.

She is nodding her head nonstop

JIMI (CONTD)
Today is your day, now, take off your dress.

Ah! Please Jimi, you know I’m a virgin

JIMI
No, I don’t know, I’m just about to know. Off!

INT. HOSPITAL ROOM. NOON
By now she is sobbing profusely.

HOSANNA
I don’t know if that’s rape. I walked into his room myself, I seduced him, it’s my fault and I cannot press charges, my father is a Reverend, he will kill me

continues after the advertisement

HeartMINDERS RAPE2Join us tomorrow for a walk against rape

Mama Justice has gone to her side to comfort her

MAMA JUSTICE
Hmmm! I am so sorry Hosanna but let me help you get some things clear. This is
not your fault, of course, I do not endorse your entire actions but this rape is not your fault and yes he did rape you, Section 357 of the Criminal Code Act, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria stipulates that anyone who is convicted of using violence to have carnal knowledge of a woman without her consent shall be guilty of rape. As long as your consent was not given, it’s rape. Keeping silent and not reporting will further endanger you, as you will be exposed to the possibility of him striking again. You cannot afford to live in the bondage of silence, which is the power rapists have over their victims.

Dr. Esiri walks in looking tired and unhappy. The voice of the wailing woman is heard from outside

WAILING SOUND (V.O)
Ha, Labake! Kin se base so niyi (this was not what we agreed)! Jimi Festus, wherever you are, your parents will mourn over you like you are making me mourn

DR ESIRI
She’s gone. She was actually brought in dead. We were told they found in her diary that she was raped by one Jimi Festus some months ago…

Hosanna is shocked, she cuts in trembling

HOSANNA
That’s Jimi, same guy who raped me

Dr. Esiri and Mama Justice express surprise

DR ESIRI
So she kept it to herself, did not visit the hospital after then, I guess she was ignorant. Few months after the rape, she found out she was pregnant. Jimi told her to get rid of it… took her to where she terminated the pregnancy. Days later she developed   complications, septic abortion. She went back there; in short, they could not control the hemorrhage. On her way down here she gave up the ghost

MAMA JUSTICE
Hmmm

HOSANNA
So I’m not the first Jimi will…

MAMA JUSTICE
But you can be the last if you choose to press charges. Every time we lock up a rapist, we’re preventing him or her from committing another attack. You can be saving an entire generation just by taking this up. For the love of others…

HOSANNA
I think I’ll do this. If this lady had taken the case up maybe he would not have done the same thing to me. If I don’t take it up, he might do it to another girl. I will… I will do this

She breaks down into tears. The other two women walk towards her to embrace her

THE END

Appreciation: Seun Abimbola
Between March 2012 and March 2013, 678 rape cases were reported in Lagos state alone
95% of victims are raped by people they know, love and trust.

If every Nigerian knows what to do in the case of rape, we would have less rape  incidence, less unplanned pregnancies and a decrease in the number of people with HIV/AIDS and Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)

The Lagos State Government, through the State Domestic and Sexual Violence response Team (DSVRT), has approved the use of the 112 toll-free emergency line to report cases of rape,  domestic violence, defilement, child abuse, neglect and other
sexual assaults perpetrated in the state.

Rape victims should go to the hospital IMMEDIATELY after the experience so as to, among other things, get immediate treatment and evidence to prosecute the rapist because after 72 hours, evidence necessary to prosecute the perpetrator may be lost. For more information on how to handle a rape case click here

Some NonGovernmental Organizations (NGOs) that offer relief are:
1. Mirabel Center in Lagos State University Teaching Hospital
2. End Rape And Sex Abuse (ERSA)

The least we can do is share and comment on this post, you just might be saving a life.

To take this script to the screen, radio, stage drama or a wider platform contact:

admin@scriptit14.com
@scriptit14
+2348060754338

Answer this question to stand a chance to win FREE recharge cards to call your loved ones.
Question
Whose love changed Hosanna’s mind about seeking justice?

kindly place your answer in the comment thread.
Thank you!

Advertisements

61 Comments on “HOW LOVE CHANGED HER”

1. Bido says:

Nice piece! The trauma that the victims face is unbearable. Someone close to me told me about her experience I wish I could go beat up the guy but I was miles away from her. I’d to make sure she was able to recover from the horrible trauma. She was so terrified while telling me about her ordeal. The system has to work for everyone.
    Ayo, I like the cause you’re standing for…we all need to stand together against rape.
    Great job!..

2. olubayo Babatunde says:

This is fantastic… almost tut it was real. We must all stand up against rape…this is callous!!!

3. Lola says:

Sad story, great work! Rape an evil act with long term effect on the victims sometimes life long. And rapists also tend to become addicted. We have to give our children sex education and encourage them to be open about everything both male and female. I also believe we should let our children know how satanic rape is especially the males for them not to be involved in it and for them to also discourage anyone that brings it up around them. Let them know the punishment for rape convicts under the law. I can not help but wonder how Jimi became a rapist, serial one at that. Maybe if he was able to discuss his girl relationships with his father or mother or a friend that can influence him positively, things would have been different for him.

4. Ifeoluwa says:

Prize received…thank you!:-)

5. Busayo says:

Touching. A lot of people out there go through this but keep quiet. I hope this post goes a long way especially among secondary school students.

6. Tunrayo says:

Prize received! More of this, *smiles*. May God make us sponsors ooo in Jesus name amen.

7. Tunrayo says:

Prize received! More of this. *smiles* God will raise us to be sponsors ooo in Jesus name amen.

8. James says:

I’m speechless with the dexterity shown in drafting this. The story and sequence are masterly. God bless you for this. The love of other ‘may-be’victims is the driving point for Howdy to press for charges. I

9. Bolaji Oladipo says:

Prize Received!
    Thank you so much for your generosity 🙂

10. Aderonke says:

Great piece!
    I read and re-read including comments!

How true all said so far! Hmm. May the spirit of God that makes a man good (more like God) rest more strongly upon our society. Amen. Truth is majority of people here in this part of the world where I have spent my entire life are almost loosing the shade of Humanity let alone Divinity! Hence my prayer for its only God that can make it possible. It’s never by power or might! But by His Spirit!

Jimi acted like an alien treating a girl as such! But he isn’t alone out there, imagine his conversation on the phone to so called ‘friends’ he is hanging out with! He (they all) needs to be corrected by human law or God’s and given another chance at redemption.
    Sure girls need to learn to Love God and themselves because in all, they have the most to loose and it’s on God that can love one truly or give a partner to do the humane part of Loving.

I use to know a girl who was in a false relationship in school involving some rape scene! She was rescued when her brother (who was in same institution) cried out and lend her a voice. Victims usually don’t know how to free themselves! She learned to speak out and fight for the Love of God and herself! Now she’s married and over it though she didn’t get man’s justice but I want to belief God fought her battle. And the stigma didn’t really last long and not as bad as she dread making her put up with the abuse!

To the question: the love for herself – realizing it wasn’t her entire fault yet she suffered alone, realizing she could be the dead girl, or if the dead girl had spoken up she could have been speared and lastly for the Love of others!

Peace and Love every one.

11. Ayokunle Olagoke says:

The answer to the question is: the love for potential victims of rape. The love for humanity.

We had 6 people in all who got the answer correctly but had to choose 5 winners, we had a judge who shuffled the 6 winners and chose 5 out of the 6.
    Here are the names of the 5 winners:

Oluwatobi Samuel- Soluwatobi7@gmail.com

Tunrayo- motunrayoogundipe@gmail.com

Bolaji- ajaxpound@yahoo.com

Microb4christ- mirob4hrist@gmail.com

Ifeoluwa- ife.ologundudu@gmail.com

Congratulations!!! You will get an email from scriptit14.com shortly

Thanks to all those who participated and those who made attempt to.

12. Oluwatobi Samuel says:

You have done a good job ma . Well done!

13. Ifeoluwa says:

As a child, I had a large-sized ego,which made it easy for people to get me offended. I always reacted by giving every such individual their own “size” of tongue-lashing. This continued till I grew older. Consequent upon my entering into a courtship, I could not continue to get angry at my partner for every “little” thing I felt he did wrong,so I began to soften up gradually.I started to make excuses for the mistakes of others, thereby seeking for myself reasons not to get angry.

This is how God changed me through the instrument of love😊

Liked by 1 person

14. Oluwatobi Samuel says:

I think parents have much work to do on their female children. Parents should not be too busy to put their children in the right path.
    L
    I think the love of others that might be victim of rape made her change her mind

15. Omogbotemi Adesola says:

Hmmm. Great piece Kunle.
    Last week I was recounting with my colleagues how a family covered up a rape case that happened many years ago just because they didn’t want their daughter stigmatized.

Their beautiful daughter whom I knew was violated by the landlord’s son. This guy got away with it. It annoyed me so because this guy was notorious in town back then and was much popular. I heard she was raised at the point of a knife threat.

Many such cases as these happen every now and then with some rapists even vowing to upload the act on the internet should the victim make it known to anyone. These goats shouldn’t be allowed to walk away scot free no matter their threats. They should suffer for it and face the consequences.

I think the society needs to be educated and sensitized on rape. They should be lectured on ways of dealing with rape. The public should be made to understand such act must not be kept away from the law. They should allow the law to speak for them.

My answer to the question is Labake. The death of the deceased touch Hossanah so much that she decided to bring Jimi Festus to book.

Nice job once again Kunle. This is getting just better and better. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

16. Ifeoluwa says:

The love of others did, that was Mama Justice last statement…You can be saving an entire generation just by taking this up. For the love of others…
    This is a very beautiful piece Sis, it’s an eye-opener. Thank you very much Ma.

Liked by 1 person

17. Ifeoluwa says:

The love of others did, that was Mama Justice’s last statement…You can be saving an entire generation just by taking this up. For the love of others…
    This is a very beautiful piece Sis, it’s an eye-opener. Thank you very much Ma.

18. Wuraola Dasylva says:

Wooow…. I am so glad I read this piece. Very well articulated and insightful. It’s a common phenomenon to have rape victims keeping silent over the incident. I assume this is because of the stigmatization that rape victims experience once they open up. Many fear that public knowledge of the rape may change their lives forever – and in this age and time of social media, there are no secrets. I hope this piece will reach a wider audience and educate all and sundry. RAPE MUST STOP!!!! IT IS INHUMANE.

Answer to the question above: I guess it’s the ‘hate’ for Jimi’s act (not only to her but to another girl – this made her feel ‘better’ that it wasn’t her seduction that made him rape her) that changed her mind and not necessarily her love for potential victims.

19. Tolulola says:

Wow such a moving story!!! Sadly the perpetrators of rape are mostly family, ‘close friends’ and ‘loved ones.’ Many cases are beyond the victim’s control, but please to anybody reading this story or comments, you are beautiful and perfect in God’s eyes. You are made in the very image of God, and you are a perfect work of art. I hope that you would know the love of the father and of Jesus that’ll set you free from waiting on people’s approval. Hosanna didn’t feel any sense of worth, that’s why she let a person crush her emotionally day after day. A man who talks like Jimi does not love you, but wants to use you. A man after God’s heart will cherish you and support you no matter what. If anything needs to be corrected, the truth would be said in love, and he will celebrate you on every effort and milestone on the way to meeting the goal. I declare over you that you be set free from living in the lies of the enemy. Ayokunle, God bless you and I thank God for the gifts He has deposited in you. May this medium continue to be used to the honor and glory of His holy name, amen! Love you!

20. Ayokunle Olagoke says:

Very true,the law has to take its place but aside the law, aside waiting for the law to be active in its enforcement, individuals can do something too, Mama Justice is doing something. I think the law need to be pushed before they act right

21. Olakunle says:

Wow……it’s worth reading. Really it’s now becoming a common crime these days. Except the law takes its course the issue of rape may not go down easily in the society…

22. abayomi says:

It’s not about being christian or not. What about some that are being raped by their family members? Most of the act happens from those you trust and close to. If we say it’s because hosanna went to his house what of those that happens in their own house? Because rape can be in any form, from those you love or close to, arm robbers. The lesson here is that reporting the case to right authority so that necessary step will be taken; test for disease,stop unwanted pregnancies, and prevent more from happening so also not to let the rapist go free.. thanks

Liked by 1 person

• Ayokunle Olagoke says:

Yes, it happens unexpectedly but sometimes its triggered by some events. A guy listening to strong vulgar lyrics music constantly may have a higher propensity to consider rape, a lady walking down a lonely road with ears plugged at night may be more prone to rape. Bottomline is that everyone has a part to play

23. ope says:

answer to the question : it was jimi that made her change her mind.

24. Ruro says:

Hmmm…this is a result of what I call parent-neglect. if her mum had spoken to her, been a friend asked who her male friends were, or at least, kept a track upon her life, things would have not gotten this far. Parents, take out time to know your child(ren) friends. It can save them. Good story

• Bolaji Oladipo says:

I do understand you but I feel there are more reasons that we could say caused everything. Her mum may be separated from her dad or even late, Reverend daddy might be a traveler going from mountain to ministers conference, she may be over protected at home before Uni, saw the slightest opportunity and ‘over tear eyes’. On and on like that…. God should just continue to help and protect out females and enter into the heart of our males never to consider rapping.

• Ayokunle Olagoke says:

But does this indeed guarantee openness from children?

• Bolaji Oladipo says:

No, it doesn’t guarantee openness from children. What happened here is what I call ‘one of those possible future disasters in a family’. Most of us are happy and disaster free because we (our parents and loved ones) have averted countless number of them in the place of prayers. That was why I ended with ‘God should just continue to help…’

Liked by 1 person

25. Bukky Shaba says:

Wow! Great job on this. It’s a sad story but with a lot of lessons, many rape victims need to be empowered to speak up and charge the perpetrators so we can gradually put an end to this menace. I also like that you added some data and contact information of govt agencies and NGOs that can help but I think we should strive to get similar agencies started or activated in all the states because rape happens everywhere around us even In the remote villages.
    Thank you for sharing this and keep up the good work.

26. Tunrayo says:

Good story! I think its the love of others (ladies who could become victims of this Jimi guy) that changed Hosanna’s mind. I want to chip in that this happens around us. Sometimes we notice a lady who used to be excited about life suddenly becomes withdrawn. Withdrawal syndrome is common amongst rape victims. This comes to me in the form of being deliberate to seek out people to help. Being persistent in getting people with challenges speak out like the Barr. without making them feel pressured.

27. Bolaji Oladipo says:

Answer: Love for Jimi’s (and maybe other similar rapist’s) potential rape victims changed Hosanna’s mind about seeking justice.

Comment: Yes, Hosanna was a virgin(a mere moralist), but it wasn’t stated that she is a true Christian. Highlighting that one’s father is a Reverend has nothing to do with his/her personal salvation. They were of course going to end up having sex during the course of their relationship, the only difference would just be that they’d be better prepared and things may continue to look normal (enjoyable) while they wallow in sin.

What I learnt: What you won’t eat, don’t smell, don’t even price it. And be sure you are indeed a Christian.

• Ayokunle Olagoke says:

You mean a Christina can’t fall a victim of rape?

• Bolaji Oladipo says:

True (born again) Christian can not fall a victim of rape. These days, many people just address themselves as Christians only because they are from a christian background or because they tick Christianity in their biodata forms. They are not Christ-like(born again). They are the ‘false Christians’. They are much more vulnerable to rape.

• Ayokunle Olagoke says:

But you now even in Christianity there are levels of faith. So we don’t see rape victims as fake Christians, that’s not usually true

28. sabimson says:

Thanks for this, again. The beauty of your stories is always the paradox of simplicity and depth….

Hosanna’s gullibility and subservience sort of astounded me. How slavish our idea of love often makes us; how defeatist! Thank God there was a “becoming” in the end. She decided her heart wasn’t fit for the long stroll alone, she consulted her head. The stigma is real, same is the fear of how the society will view such victim’s openness. I think the burden of confession is often greater than the secret of the act itself. But I guess the solution is out here. We cannot allow predators of our innocent but misguided love have the final say. In the end, Hosanna did right. Every victim can do right too, in the end!

May true love heal every ailing soul!

29. This is a great piece.