MY WEANING STORY

Story by: Busayo Awodein

weaning mobile

Total weaning was something I really did not look forward to. Apart from the emotional stress being undergone by mother and child that period, I really was not ready to stop enjoying the benefits I derived from breastfeeding – especially that of the mother to child bond. Initially, I had planned to breastfeed for two years or at least 18 months, but a part of me just felt it was time to stop which I did at 16 months. Hence, here’s my weaning story.

story continues after the advertisement

HeartMINDERS RAPE2

Immediately my daughter clocked one, I intensified the weaning process. I stopped breastfeeding during the daytime and breastfed only at nights. I had come to terms with the fact that it would be almost impossible for me to stop breastfeeding completely on my own because I could not bear to see her cry so hard for something that I had the power to give her, so I was waiting for a ‘savior’. I knew I had to stop because I was not having adequate rest at nights; she woke frequently to breastfeed, and she also had little sleep.  Thankfully mother was coming to spend some time with me. So, the plan was baby would stay with mother at nights and when she wakes to feed, there would always be a substitute- pap, chocolate drink or cereal.

story continues after the advertisement

hlcm.

So, the process of full weaning started. It required a lot of determination on my part. The whole weaning took about five painful days…painful physically because of engorged breasts, and painful emotionally because of my baby’s cry. Gradually, after the five days we started, she started sleeping all through the night and forgot about breast milk altogether.

PS:

Script It: did everything change in that 5 days?

Busayo: yes, more or less. After 5 days maybe 3 more extra days after mom left. When she woke up then, I would just pat her bombom until she slept back

Script It: so after a week you stopped she started sleeping all through the night?

Busayo: yes

Script It: do you think their frequent waking at night to suck is not really because they are hungry?

Busayo: for my child, well, thinking back, I think it was just an addiction, bus once she knew that breast milk was not going to show she stopped. That was why I did not want to give her food too because it might just mean waking up to eat, which will become another addiction.

Script It: I like the point you just raised about not introducing food so they don’t start the habit of waking up to eat again. When she woke up for the cereal and pap back then, was she sleeping off immediately after taking them?

Busayo: yes she was sleeping off immediately after taking them. Sometimes she would start sleeping as she was taking it

Script It: during the times when she was waking up to take cereals, did her intermittent wake up frequency reduce?

Busayo: yes, it reduced drastically. Instead of waking up 5 times before day break, it reduced to once or twice.

Script It: why pap and cereal?

Busayo: I guess pap and cereals are more filling so it made her sleep more soundly

Script It: thank you

Download the World Health Organization recommendation on weaning

Advertisements

25 Comments on “MY WEANING STORY”

1. deola says:

Very enlightening piece. Thank you ScripIt and Busayo

2. Bolaji Oladipo says:

Thank you Busayo for telling us about your weaning experience. As a very young man, there are a lot of weaning cases that seem complex to me; like a woman who tells you that she has 2 kids with 10-12 months of delivery times apart! Was she breast feeding while she was pregnant(how possible?) or weaned after 1-3 months or never stopped and even continued after birth, breast feeding the two of them together like twins? I’m kind of confused

3. Oyindamola says:

Wow!!! Thanks for this great piece…have always had this mentality that the weaning period is a difficult time cuz of what have seen and heard but reading this has given me peace of mind. Now have overcome my fears, i know what to do when the time comes. God bless you.

4. Regina Bejide says:

Will put it to use when the time comes. Thanks for sharing Busayo and Script it

5. Babatunde olubayo says:

Though am a man, I have learnt something for the near future….I guess it find importance soon.

6. Bidemi says:

Surprising to hear that Busayo wasn’t ready to stop enjoying the benefits of breastfeeding; however, some women find breastfeeding for 6 months tiring.

Liked by 1 person

• Ayokunle Olagoke says:

It’s actually phenomenal that she didn’t want to stop enjoying the benefit but thank God she wasn’t to submissive to her emotions

7. Ruro says:

I am grateful I can read a story this insightful. I learnt. I will definitely implement this technique. Thanks Ayokunle!

Liked by 1 person

8. What should i write as a father…Laughs!!!.Nice one.

Liked by 1 person

9. Damee Whenu-Adisa says:

Hmmm….. I’m learning!!!. Interesting! Always thought weaning was a big deal and long term thing.

• Ayokunle Olagoke says:

Ideally, there should be exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months after after which weaning process should start. Where we start to introduce other food gradually, the guideline below will help

10. heartminders says:

Thanks Busayo for sharing your weaning story with us. Although I had a different experience. I have 3children now and I only breast fed them for 8mths each cos of work and situations around me. I was working in the bank then and I was the lead of a team/ department . Immediately after the swim months exclusive feeding, I started the weaning process, I only had to leave my kid(s) with my nanny at night in a her room for two nights and that was it. My mom is late and so is my mother-in-law. Weaning process is sometimes make complicated by our thinking and that is why it is essential to enjoy the exclusive moments. It may be different with another mother but in all, as women, it’s a beautiful experience. Shout out to all mothers and I pray that all who is looking to God for such experience will have it in Jesus name.

• Ayokunle Olagoke says:

Atimes, the reality of things at hand is staring at us at the face and we can only do the best we can at the moment

• Busayo says:

Yes thank you very much. Another thing that encouraged me then was the fact that I knew my baby was growing which was a good thing. And like the Bible says milk is for babies, she was gradually leaving the ‘baby’ stage and becoming a -big girl’ in short so I was encouraged about the fact that weaning had to happen cos a good thing was happening… she was growing.

11. Lola says:

Nice one, shared with
    friends already. I will definitely adopt this method. Thanks to script it and Busayo dear!

12. Akinyosoye Olubukola says:

Lovely writeup. I think I will just apply this method when I am ready to wean my baby. She really loves to suck all night. Thanks

13. Dacosta Titilade says:

Thank you for the insight, it’s quite a lesson learnt since am almost at the stage of weaning too though I aready introduced night breastfeeding only to my baby at 9 months and put to an end to it by the time he clocks one.